Window –> Door Sheers

Let me start this post by confessing two things: 1) my insanely long around-the-house project to-do list does not frequently get attention (although I’ve recently started attacking the list with a vigor from I know not where) and 2) I am a chronic optimist when it comes to said list, purchasing the needed pieces for a given project, only to have them sit about for ages (see #1 re: infrequent list attention).

My cheapo door sheers from the hall (sure beats the view of what's on the other side)

That’s not to say I spend willy-nilly.  I don’t.  I buy on sale or clearance (which is often why things sit around so long before installation/use.  It goes something like – “oh, this is just what I had in mind for the xyz project and it’s 70% off! I’ll end up paying way more if I do not get this now, and it is just what I need! Now I know it’s time to start xyzing!”) I also really try to reuse and repurpose things in my house (if I no longer use it there, maybe it will be fresh over here).

And so I found myself with a pair of tan window sheer panels (85″) from what used to be the guest room and a pair of french doors in need of some kind of covering that lets light through.  Now the guest room did not need those sheers (for roughly 2 years now) as it is now my daughter’s room (which got a coat of paint and a few wall decals, new curtains, bedding, and a headboard for a complete and inexpensive transformation), following the addition of my son, who took over the nursery (which remained as it was for both children and only got a set of new curtains and a couple items of wall art).  See? I don’t go crazy with the decorating budget.

Those lovely french doors I mentioned, are the entrance to a room that is meant to be an office or den or something inviting, as the doors  make the room a feature, visible from the main hall. For us, though, it has become our catch-all room.  The catch-all room has migrated, but as we’ve added children, it settled in this space.  It is the only space not otherwise fully claimed, I suppose.  In any case, it is where the toys we cycle out live, along with the big stroller and where the exercise equipment I keep wanting to use is located (if only it weren’t impossible to reach via the sundry items just inside the door) and importantly, it is where many of my project pieces are waiting, and so on.  I know it means we need to organize and purge, but believe me, that is on the list already!  Only, it’s a big job, needing quite a lot of time, and I haven’t quite found that it my schedule just yet. Now, keeping in mind those good intentions about tidying the space and making it more usable, I also am realistic – hiding that stuff will allow me to pass through my hall multiple times a day without the distraction of all that stuff waiting to be done.

Hence, those french doors are screaming for door sheers.  Honestly, I’d earmarked the old guest room sheers for those doors more than a year ago.  More than six month ago I bought the hanging rods (on sale) for the doors.  More than three months ago, I installed them and set the sheers near the doors for “quick hemming.”  (See, I do make progress, even if it is at a glacial pace.) And there they sat.  Until last Saturday.

View from the inside.

My make-shift alteration.

I recently was using my basic sewing machine with my even more basic sewing skills and realized that hemming a sheer curtain was probably beyond my abilities at this point (that fabric is just a bit more difficult than anything I’ve ever attempted before).  In a moment of weakness, I searched the web for door sheers, only to realize that they would require me to part with more money than I was willing to, that the rods I’d installed were too distant for a standard door sheer (ooops!).  Back to Plan A.

After checking my button collection, I decided I would use some glass beads instead (the buttons were just too motley to pull the work together).  Since I’d settled on hand sewing my sheers, I chose to use beads for both aesthetic and the practicality of keeping the stitches from ripping through the sheers once hung.

Each stitch started with knotting a bead on the thread, then stitching back and forth through the curtain and around another bead on the opposite side of the sheer several times before knotting the stitch.  I spaced them at 3 inches apart and I chose the point to fold over based on the distance from my top rod to the bottom rod (i.e. kind of random).

It is not exactly a standard door sheer sort of look – much looser and flouncier, but I kind of dig it and (at just a few cents for the project) It’s functional enough, so I’m happy with it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s